The UWA Tutwiler Scholars Program seeks incoming freshmen who are creative, ambitious, energetic, and passionate about learning. This program is open to academically qualified students in any of UWA's four colleges - Business, Education, Liberal Arts, and Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
The mission of the Tutwiler Scholars Program is
- To provide financial support in the form of merit-based scholarship assistance for incoming freshmen with exceptional and proven academic backgrounds;
- To offer an academically enriched and intellectually challenging curriculum for these students;
- To develop a diverse, inspiring, and supportive community of intellectually curious students and innovative, creative faculty;
- To complement enhanced course offerings with effective advising;
- To supplement coursework with research, internship, artistic, service, scholarly, and other experiential opportunities;
- To expose these students to a variety of diverse cultural events and activities, thereby broadening their social and global navigability, including study-abroad programs and exchanges and international study tours.
Applicants to the Program will be considered based on the following criteria:
- ACT scores-composite score of 28 or higher with a 28 or higher in one of the following areas: English, reading, science reasoning, or mathematics.
- Demonstrated leadership and academic achievement throughout high school.
- Original and creative expression of intellectual curiosity, engagement, and purpose in the application essay.
- Strength of mentor/advisor/teacher references
Further information may be obtained from Dr. Lesa C. Shaul, Director, Tutwiler Scholars Program, Station #22, University of West Alabama, Livingston, AL 35470.