2012 - 2013 Graduate Catalogue 
    Jun 06, 2023  
2012 - 2013 Graduate Catalogue [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

General Information | 1


School of Graduate Studies

Kathy Chandler, Dean

The School of Graduate Studies at UWA offers programs leading to the degrees of Master of Education, Master of Arts in Teaching (Certification and Non-Certification), Master of Science in Continuing Education, and Education Specialist.

Mission Statement


The University of West Alabama is a state-supported, coeducational institution of higher learning governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the Governor. As a regional institution, the University’s foremost commitment is to meeting the educational needs of the State and particularly of the West Alabama area. Valuing a diverse student enrollment, though, it also welcomes students from throughout the United States and from other countries.

The primary purpose of the University is to provide opportunities for students to pursue a quality education through associate, baccalaureate, master’s, and education specialist degrees in liberal arts, natural sciences and mathematics, pre-professional programs, nursing, technology, business, and education. Importance is placed on providing opportunities within the curricula for the development of enhanced skills in critical thinking, communication, leadership, and computer literacy. The University also seeks to provide students opportunities for growth beyond the classroom through a wide range of extracurricular activities, programs, and services and through the maintenance of an environment of cultural and intellectual diversity. Through the total educational experience that it provides and through its encouragement of the free exchange of ideas among faculty, administration, and students, the University attempts to assist its students in developing the important qualities of independent thinking and respect for the ideas of others and in building firm foundations of personal integrity and character in order to realize their quests for a philosophy of life and for self-fulfillment.

At the University of West Alabama, the emphasis is upon the traditional learner, but the institution is also committed to furthering the concept of lifelong learning and to serving the non-traditional student. It considers among its clientele are high schools, businesses and industries, governmental agencies, and professional workers. In serving these diverse publics, the institution employs not only traditional means of delivery, but it also seeks to expand its use of innovative technologies, including distance learning, and to networking with other educational institutions and agencies in order to more comprehensively address the needs of its region.

In fulfilling its mission, the University seeks to employ a vibrant, talented, and diverse faculty. In the recruitment and retention of this faculty, as with all members of the University community, the institution, consistent with its academic heritage, maintains an openness to all qualified persons.

Excellence in teaching and advising is paramount to the faculty, but the members are also committed to providing leadership and fostering positive growth throughout West Alabama through research and public service, with primary emphasis on that which meets the educational, social, cultural, and economic needs of the region.



The University of West Alabama is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, Telephone number 404-679-4501) to award the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and education specialist degrees. This accreditation gives regional and national recognition to credits and degrees earned at the University. The College of Education at the University of West Alabama is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), 2010 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20036; telephone (202) 466-7496/ This accreditation covers initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator preparation programs.

The Purpose of The School of Graduate Studies

The purpose of the School of Graduate Studies is to provide post-baccalaureate study for persons preparing for careers in professional education and education and for those whose career plans require graduate-level work in other areas.

Specifically, the School of Graduate Studies offers programs in early childhood education, elementary education, high school education, pre-school through grade twelve education, special education, school counseling, continuing education, library media, counseling/psychology, teacher leader, and instructional leadership. Academic areas of study in the various disciplines are biology, English, English language arts, history, mathematics, physical education, science, and social science. These programs are provided to further develop the professional competencies attained in undergraduate programs. In accomplishing this purpose, students are encouraged to solve professional problems by independent investigation through study and research.

Administration of the Program

The policies of the School of Graduate Studies are set by the Graduate Council of the University, which is appointed by the President. The Dean of the School of Graduate Studies serves as chairperson and executive officer of the Graduate Council. The Graduate Dean’s responsibilities include initiation and recommendation of policies and procedures, and the overall administration of graduate programs as directed by the Graduate Council. The Graduate Council recommends the membership of the graduate faculty to the Provost, who submits the names to the President, who makes the appointments. The Graduate Dean approves the various curricula; supervises the course offerings; admits students to the School; and approves programs for degrees.

Admission to the School of Graduate Studies

Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2.75 grade-point average (four-point scale) or graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree or higher with a minimum of 3.00 grade-point average (four-point scale) is required for unconditional admission to the School of Graduate Studies. A student who has an undergraduate grade-point average below 2.75 or a graduate grade-point average below 3.00 will be admitted conditionally and will be allowed to take twelve (12) hours of graduate work. If a grade-point average of 3.00 or higher is achieved in the first twelve (12) hours, regular admission to the graduate program may be granted and these credit hours may apply toward a degree.

An acceptable score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (Verbal and Quantitative) is also required for unconditional admission to the School of Graduate Studies. Students should take the GRE or MAT prior to admission to the School of Graduate Studies. Students may be allowed to begin graduate work prior to submission of a test score with the understanding that no one can take beyond nine (9) semester hours without completing this requirement. Graduate students who have completed an accredited master’s degree program are not required to submit either an MAT or GRE score as a requirement for admission to the School of Graduate Studies.

In accordance with the Alabama State Department of Education Code:

“… any candidate applying for admission to a State-approved teacher education program shall be required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check through the Alabama State Department of Education to the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) pursuant to Act 2002-457. The candidate shall be fingerprinted by a service provider approved by the Alabama State Department of Education. Additional information about approved providers, fees, and procedures is available from the Teacher Education and Certification Office.” Rule 290-3-3-.02(5)(a-b).

All students pursuing a master’s or education specialist degree program leading to certification should follow the provided link to Cogent, the approved Alabama State Department of Education service provider for criminal background checks: www.cogentid.com/al/index_ade.htm. Out-of-state students must also meet this requirement. Students who are not residents of Alabama may obtain fingerprint cards by calling the Alabama State Department of Education Teacher Certification Office at (334) 353-8567.

A clear background check through Cogent is essential for all students (on campus and online) to be admitted to a teacher education program leading to certification.

Students pursuing a master’s or education specialist degree programs leading to certification, except those in the Alternative Class A program, must submit a copy of a valid renewable teaching certificate in order to complete the admission process.

Admission to the School of Graduate Studies is not equivalent to unconditional admission to an approved program.  Candidates admitted to the institution or graduate school on or after August 1, 2012, to enroll in courses in a Class A or Class AA teaching field program may complete no more than five (5) approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program.

Additional requirements for admission to programs in the School of Graduate Studies may be required. Please see individual program information for specific details.

A qualified senior in a non-certification program at UWA, lacking six to nine hours or less for graduation, may be enrolled for up to nine hours of graduate studies with the approval of the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

International Students

Applications are welcomed from international students who wish to attend UWA. In addition to meeting the regular admission requirements, foreign applicants whose native language is not English must submit satisfactory scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). International students who have graduated from English-speaking undergraduate schools are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. The TOEFL code for UWA is 1737.

Applicants must also file financial statements confirming the availability of sufficient funds to meet all costs while studying at the University.

Advisory System

When a student has been approved for admission to the graduate program, he/she is assigned an advisor by the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. All graduate students should schedule regular conferences with their advisors. Advisors provide general guidance as students plan their work toward graduation. Each student, however, has full responsibility for determining his/her own status in regard to the acceptability of his/her schedule and progress toward meeting graduation requirements.

Students who register at extension centers should contact their advisors prior to registration to receive approval of their schedules.

Graduate students are expected to familiarize themselves with the regulations and academic requirements stated in this catalogue. Graduate students who, because of extraordinary circumstances, wish to request exceptions to any of the regulations may do so in writing to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Student Financial Aid

In an attempt to meet the financial need of qualified students, the University subscribes to the following policies and principles: (1) the purpose of financial aid is to supplement the resources of the student and his/her family; it does not exist to replace these sources of support. The primary responsibility for financing a college education resides with the family, and the family is expected to contribute according to its income and assets to a student’s University expenses. The student is expected to share in this responsibility through savings, summer work, and part-time employment if necessary. (2) In selecting a financial aid recipient, the University considers not only an applicant’s financial need, but also academic achievement and potential, character, and leadership ability. (3) The amount of a financial aid award reflects the financial situation of the student and his/her family and represents confidential information which will not be made public by the University.

Financial aid at UWA may consist of a scholarship, a loan, campus employment, or any combination of these. The Financial Aid Center will attempt to meet a student’s needs through the award or combination of awards most appropriate to the individual applicant.

Specific information on applying for financial assistance may be obtained by contacting the Director of Financial Aid, Station 3, The University of West Alabama, Livingston, Alabama 35470 or online at http:/financialaid.uwa.edu.

If a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward his/her degree program, they cannot be used to determine enrollment status unless they are eligible remedial courses.  Financial aid cannot be awarded for courses that do not count toward a student’s degree program.

Federal College Work-Study Program

The College Work-Study (CWSP) provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students who need financial assistance in order to pay part of their educational expenses. The amount of the work-study award depends on the financial need of the student and the funds which are available. The typical student employee works fifteen hours per week and is paid the Federal minimum wage.

Federal Direct Loans

A Direct Loan is a low-interest loan made to qualified students by the Federal Government. Students may borrow up to a maximum of $20,500 per year, depending on their financial need and the cost of attendance. Repayment does not begin until six months after leaving the University. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) serves as the application. Students can complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov.

The Ralph and Margaret Lyon Scholarship Fund

This scholarship was established and funded by Ralph and Margaret Lyon and is maintained as an endowed scholarship fund. Its purpose is to assist men and women who are enrolled in Graduate School at UWA. To apply, contact the School of Graduate Studies.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are available to qualified students in certain fields of study. Assistantships are usually granted for a period of nine months. Normally, there are no stipends for the summer semester. Students desiring to make application for graduate stipends should write to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, the University of West Alabama, Station 31, Livingston, Alabama 35470, for application forms.

Cooperative Education Program

The University of West Alabama offers a program in Cooperative Education to allow opportunities for students to gain work experience in their chosen field of study. The program enables the student to combine classroom instruction with practical experience in business, industry, government, or service organizations. This program is available to qualified students in select majors. To qualify, a student must be in good standing with the University and have a 3.0 or above grade point average. The student must also attend an Employability Seminar offered by appointment in the Career Services Office.

Students may choose one of two options when available. The first option, the Alternating Option, allows a student to alternate semesters of full-time work and full-time study. The second option, the Parallel Option, allows a student to work part-time (15 to 20 hours a week) while enrolled as a full-time student.

In addition to the above qualifications, a student must register for the appropriate non-credit Cooperative Education course (CEP) each work term and pay the materials fee. Students must comply with the policies and procedures of the employer and the Cooperative Education Program. Interested students may apply in the Career Services Office in Foust Hall 7.

Special Administrative Policies

General Rules for Behavior

All University students are required to abide by State laws governing the use of State-owned buildings, among which are prohibitions against gambling, use or possession of firearms except under direct supervision of an authorized University instructor, use or possession of alcoholic beverages, and use or possession of fireworks in any University building or on the University campus.

Every University of West Alabama student, in addition to complying with regulations fixed by the Board of Trustees for entrance into the University, will be expected to conform to such rules as may be established for the well-being of the University community, including, but not limited to, the general rules of behavior set forth in the Student Handbook. Failure to abide by University rules and regulations may result in dismissal.

Non-Academic Grievances

From time to time students may have questions concerning administrative policies or operations. Generally there are logical explanations for situations and usually most questions can be resolved in an informal manner through discussion with the individual or office involved. In instances where a student raises a question about a policy or decision, the affected staff member should respond constructively explaining the situation as carefully as possible and checking to be sure that no error has been made. If it is not possible to resolve a matter through discussion, a student may appeal for further consideration by voicing the concern to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. Again, in most instances concerns can be resolved through discussion, interaction and possibly intervention on behalf of the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) as student ombudsman but when this is not possible the student can formalize his appeal in writing to the VPSA and ask for consideration by the Student Life Committee and/or the President to resolve the matter officially.

This policy is formulated in accordance with the SPRE Guidelines and is intended to insure that the student is given fair and equitable consideration in any matter that may arise.

Campus Security Policy

UWA fully supports the intent of the Campus Security Act and has taken steps to adhere to its guidelines. In accordance with the Act, the University maintains records on crimes reported, arrests made on intoxication and alcohol related matters. The University also supports pro-active campus policies and programs on alcohol abuse. Results of student disciplinary proceedings are reported to alleged victims. In addition, information to whom to report a crime, who will respond to the student’s report, campus safety policies and preventive security measures is widely distributed.


All members of the UWA student body, faculty and staff who operate vehicles on the campus are required to register any vehicle driven on campus with the University Police Department. This regulation includes graduate students attending on-campus classes one night per week. Vehicles can be registered at Moon Hall.

Policy on Accommodation for Disabilities

The University of West Alabama strives to make its programs accessible to qualified persons defined as disabled under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Students who have special needs that require accommodation are responsible for notifying instructors in each course in which they are enrolled and appropriate staff members, who in turn will refer the student to the ADA Compliance Coordinator. Following verification of the student’s status, the ADA Compliance Coordinator will work with the instructor or staff member in implementing an appropriate plan for accommodating the student’s needs. Support documentation of special needs from a physician or other qualified professional will be required if deemed necessary.

For additional information, student should contact the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, Webb Hall 323, (205) 652-3581.

The Student Right to Know Act

UWA recognizes and supports the intent of the Student Right to Know Act. UWA understands, accepts and supports the intent of this act and conforms to its requirements. This information will be available from appropriate University sources. This act was designed to protect student athletes and other students by insuring that they realize what the potential for their graduating from college is. UWA maintains records on the completion rate of all athletes in comparison with the general student population. These records make comparisons by race, gender, and sport. These records will be available upon request and will be distributed as widely as possible to all prospective and enrolling students.

Policy on Sexual Harassment

UWA is committed to providing a working and educational environment for all faculty, staff, and students which is free from sexual harassment.

Sexual harassment is unacceptable behavior and will not be tolerated. It is a form of misconduct that undermines the integrity of the conditions of employment and teaching, and of faculty-student relationships.

Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and/or other verbal or physical conduct or written communication of a sexual nature are sexual harassment when:

  1. submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual’s employment or educational experience;
  2. submission to, or rejection of, such conduct is used as the basis for employment or academic decisions affecting such individual; or
  3. such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work, academic performance, participation in University sponsored extracurricular activities, or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working or learning environment.

Sexual harassment takes many forms and includes many kinds of behavior. It is best described as behavior which a reasonable person would find offensive. Sexual harassment may involve behavior by a person of either gender against a person of the same or opposite gender, when that behavior falls within the definition outlined above. Possible examples may include, but are not limited to, the following:

seeking sexual favors or relationships in return for a promised grade or other academic opportunity; relating an employment opportunity (hiring, promotion, salary increase, performance appraisal, assignment, etc.) to a sexual favor or relationship; repeated and insulting or demeaning statements or gestures related to gender, which unreasonably interfere with the work or academic or extracurricular performance of a student or faculty or staff member; or intentional and undesired physical contact which adversely affects a person’s ability to carry out his or her academic or employment responsibilities.

Sexual harassment is a serious offense and is deeply destructive. Education regarding sexual harassment is a tool in the elimination of this behavior. Therefore, education is provided by the University to ensure that all managers, supervisors, employees and students clearly understand what sexual harassment is and is not, that sexual harassment is illegal and will not be tolerated.

The Provost and all Vice Presidents, Deans, directors, supervisors, and department heads of the University have the responsibility to ensure that employees under their direction are informed of this policy, and the duty to ensure that investigation into allegations of sexual harassment occurs. The Vice President of Student Affairs is responsible for providing this information to the student body.

Investigations of complaints of sexual harassment will be conducted as promptly and in as confidential a manner as possible. Appropriate steps will be taken to resolve complaints without fear of reprisal against the individual filing such a complaint. Depending upon the initial contact and the identity of the alleged harasser, the investigation may be conducted by the Provost, the dean, department head or supervisor. If a complaint is pursued through the Provost and a prima facie case of harassment is found, the Provost may pursue the matter on behalf of the individual. If sexual harassment is determined, corrective action will be taken in accordance with established University policies and procedures. The sanction imposed will depend upon the seriousness of the offense and may range from reprimand to dismissal.

Complaints may be resolved informally by contacting UWA Provost, Webb Hall 102, Livingston, Alabama 35470. Presenting concerns to the Provost does not affect any of the time limits for initiating formal complaint procedures either inside or outside the University.

When informal resolution is not possible, staff, students and faculty may use the various formal complaint procedures the University provides. In addition, staff, students and faculty may use the procedures provided by agencies outside the University, such as the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The Provost must be notified immediately when a formal allegation of sexual harassment has been raised, regardless of who may subsequently investigate the matter.

There are no other policies of UWA which supersede this policy.

Policy Statement on Maintaining a Drug-Free Community and Workplace

The regulations implementing the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 [Public Law 101-226] require that each institution receiving federal grant funds must certify, prior to the award, that it will maintain a drug-free workplace and community. UWA, therefore, establishes the following policy standard:

The use of illegal drugs and the abuse of legal medication and alcohol threaten the health and welfare of members of the University community. UWA takes pride in its members, and, therefore, is committed to eliminating substance abuse among its students, faculty, and staff members both on and off campus.

UWA hereby notifies all of its employees and students, both full-time and part-time, that the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of a controlled substance by an employee or student on the UWA campus, or at any other location where the employee or student is performing official duties or representing UWA, or performing any work pursuant to a federal grant, is prohibited.

The primary objective of the University in the area of substance abuse is prevention. Through the presentation of drug, alcohol, and other health related educational programs, UWA hopes to inform the campus community of the problems related to substance abuse. Although UWA does not independently require drug-testing of students involved in campus activities, the University supports and agrees to comply with drug-testing requirements of all applicable athletic associations in which membership is held. For student, faculty, and staff members who recognize that an abuse problem exists, counseling and/or referral service will be made available. It is hoped that all substance abuse problems can be handled at the counseling level; however, it is the responsibility of the individual to seek help prior to disciplinary action or criminal apprehension, or prosecution, as well as conduct himself or herself in accordance with federal, state and local law whether or not on the campus of UWA.

The use of illegal drugs will not be tolerated by UWA. Members of the University community apprehended for or convicted of substance abuse will be subject to appropriate University action. Indicators of abuse, such as arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) or possession of illegal drugs, will serve as reasonable cause for disciplinary action, whether or not a criminal conviction is ultimately obtained. Those convicted of substance abuse will be subject to disciplinary action and criminal prosecution by the appropriate authorities. Any violation of this policy by an employee or student will render the employee or student subject to disciplinary action (consistent with federal, state or local law) including, but not limited to, expulsion or immediate termination of employment. The University may also require the employee or student to complete a drug rehabilitation program. UWA will fully cooperate with law enforcement authorities in the investigation or prosecution of any criminal violations and may refer any suspected violations to these authorities for prosecution. At all times, members of the University community remain responsible for conducting themselves in accord with federal, state and local law.

Substance abuse is counter to the educational mission of UWA. This policy of prevention, counseling and discipline will serve as a catalyst to discourage abuse by members of the University community.

UWA has implemented a drug-free awareness program. The statement above, setting forth UWA’s policy of maintaining a drug-free workplace and community and the penalties that may be imposed upon employees for drug abuse violations occurring in the workplace and community, is a part of this program, but the University also distributes the following annually to all employees:

  1. Information on the dangers of drug abuse in the workplace and community;
  2. Information on the legal sanctions under local, state, and federal law for unlawful possession, use or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol;
  3. Information on available drug counseling, rehabilitation, and employee assistance programs in the area.


General Fees

Graduate Fee for Tuition (per semester hour) - In-state $300.00
Note: Out-of-state tuition is two times the In-state rate except for the following Mississippi counties, which are charged the In-state rate: Clarke, Kemper, Lauderdale, Jasper, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, and Winston.
Identification Card (required for all students) per semester $10.00
Information Access Fee (required for all graduate students)  
Information Access Fee for a graduate enrolling for four or less semester hours $40.00
Information Access Fee for a graduate enrolling for more than four semester hours $60.00
Application Fee (submitted online) (Non-refundable) $25.00
Application Fee (paper application) (Non-refundable)
(Required of all new graduate applicants for admission)
Application Fee for International Students (submitted online/Non-refundable) $25.00
Application Fee for International Students (paper application/Non-refundable) $35.00
Miller Analogies Test Fee
Auditing Fee (per on campus course) $40.00
Auditing Fee (per online course) $75.00
Graduation Fee
(See Graduation Fee Policy below.)

Fees in the School of Graduate Studies do not cover any medical expenses for students.

NOTE: The audit fee is waived for senior citizens of Alabama, those 55 or older, who audit a course on campus.

Enrollment as an Auditor

Any person wishing to audit a course in which college degree credit may be earned must follow standard application procedures. He/She must be registered for the course and must pay all required fees. He/She is expected to attend class meetings and to conform to all requirements of the instructor of the course. An auditor (a student wishing to attend such courses on a non-credit basis) ordinarily will satisfy all requirements for admission to the University. He/She also must pay the application fee. Upon approval of the dean of the college in which a course is housed, a student may be permitted to attend a course as an auditor without satisfying normal admission requirements. The University reserves the right to establish appropriate standards for such enrollments. Under no circumstances can a student receive credit toward a degree by auditing a course, and in no case can a professor assign a grade (other than AU) to any work presented by an auditing student.

Graduation Fee Policy

The graduation fee is $65.00 if the student applies for graduation before the application for graduation deadline has passed. A late fee of $25.00 is imposed on any student applying for graduation after the deadline for applications has passed. If a student applies for graduation on time and then discovers that he/she will not graduate in the semester he/she applied, the student must reapply for graduation and resubmit the graduation fee. The fee and application do not roll over.

The graduation fee is payable at the time the application is submitted. Measurements for caps and gowns are to be made at the UWA Bookstore four weeks prior to graduation. The fee includes cost of diploma and rental of cap and gown. This fee is required of all graduates and is not refundable in the event the prospective graduate fails to complete requirements for a degree or fails to participate in graduation exercises.

Housing Reservation and Deposit

A request for a reservation in University housing (residence hall room or apartment) must be accompanied by a deposit of $100.00 and an application fee of $30.00. Deposits are held to cover the loss of, or damage to, residence hall or apartment property.

A deposit refund may be made when a room is vacated at the end of the contract period, as outlined in the Residence Hall Agreement. Residents desiring to receive a deposit refund must obtain a Request for Room Deposit Refund form from the Housing Office and turn this form in to Brock Hall Room 121. The Housing Staff forwards the form to the Business Office. The Business Office will prepare and mail a refund check to the student provided all fees are paid, or the refund will be applied to the student’s account if the account is not paid in full.


Room and Board (Subject to Change Without Notice)

The rental rate in one of the University residence halls or apartments covers only the period when classes are in session.  Limited housing is available during breaks at an additional charge.   is set on the basis of multiple occupancy of the room. The rates (subject to change) are as follows:

  Stickney Hall (Shared Room) $1,780.00 per semester
  Reed Hall (Shared Room) $2,000.00 per semester
  Hoover Apts (Single Bedroom) $2,680.00 per semester
  Hoover Apts (Shared Bedroom) $2,370.00 per semester
  Patterson Hall (Shared Room) $1,870.00 per semester

All students residing in the residence halls of the University are required to purchase meal plans. The semester charges of the meal plans, including applicable sales taxes, are as follows:

  Plan 1: 19 of 19 meals per week $1,140.00
  Plan 2: 14 of 19 meals per week $992.00
  Plan 3: 9 of 19 meals per week $823.00

All students that live in a residence hall room without kitches facilities, are required to have a 14-meal plan.  A 9-meal plan is required of all other residents.


All University charges for tuition, fees, room and board are due by registration day of each semester.

All students must pay their charges in full, have approved financial aid to cover all charges or make payment arrangements by the due date. Any charges incurred other than those required as a condition of enrollment are due in full prior to registration confirmation.

Arrangements consist of the following:

  1. Pay one third of all charges and have guaranteed financial aid sufficient to cover the remaining balance including applicable fees.
  2. Establish an approved payment plan through Tuition Management Systems in an amount sufficient to cover the account balance including applicable fees.

International students are REQUIRED to pay all charges at the time of registration. Other students whose accounts in the past have been turned over for collection also must pay all charges at the time of registration. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that fee payments are made on time and in accordance with the policies set forth in this catalogue. Any student who fails to comply with these policies may be withdrawn from classes by the University. The University is not responsible for sending bills or reminders, although statements showing outstanding balances due may be rendered on occasion. A student may access pertinent information regarding their student account on line through their WebAdvisor account at any time. Checks for payment of University charges should be made payable to “UWA”. No student records will be released by the Registrar’s Office until all University fees, fines and other obligations are paid in full. ALL STUDENT ACCOUNTS WITH A CREDIT BALANCE NOT CLAIMED WITHIN ONE YEAR OF GRADUATION OR WITHDRAWAL SHALL REVERT TO THE GENERAL FUNDS OF THE UNIVERSITY.

All costs, including attorney’s fees, which are necessary for the collection of any debt owed to the University, must be paid by the debtor. Questions about charges or refunds should be addressed to appropriate personnel in the Business Office.

Check Cashing Policy

Students and faculty desiring to cash checks at the Business Office for personal convenience must make checks payable to “Cash”. Personal checks will be cashed for amounts up to $50.00 for students if their student account with UWA is current. If a student has two returned checks per academic year, his/her check cashing privileges may be discontinued.

Due to the limited amount of cash on hand in the Business Office, work-study checks will be cashed only if the student makes a payment on their student account.

Returned Check Policy

UWA will pursue all legal means to collect dishonored checks returned by our bank for any reason. Once a check has been returned to the Business Office, the maker of the check will be notified by mail and be given a reasonable period of time to make the check good. Should the maker decide to ignore this notice, the Business Office will send a second notice. The second notice will be sent by Registered Mail. Should the second notice be ignored, the check and all supporting documentation will be submitted to the Bad Check Unit of the District Attorney’s Office for collection. Writing a bad check is a crime in the State of Alabama. Failure to respond to the District Attorney may result in arrest.


Regular Session

Students officially withdrawing from classes during the first two weeks of class receive refunds for the Basic Fees as follows: One hundred percent if withdrawal occurs on the first day that classes meet (which may not be the first day that a specific class may meet). Eighty percent if withdrawal occurs during the first week of classes and fifty percent if withdrawal occurs during the second week of classes. No refund is made if withdrawal occurs after the second week of classes.

Refunds are made only upon receipt of an official withdrawal card properly executed. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the withdrawal card is completed. In the case of withdrawals caused by personal illness or call into military service, the total amount of fees is refundable if withdrawal is made on or before Friday of the third week of the semester. One-half of the total amount of fees is refunded if withdrawal is made during the period beginning on Monday of the fourth week and ending Friday of the fifth week of classes.

  1. Those students withdrawing due to personal illness or call into the military may be asked to submit official documentation to receive a reduction in fees.
  2. Recipients of Title IV Federal financial aid are required to have their funds prorated based on the number of weeks of enrollment and is effective through 60% of the semester. All Title IV repayments are charged to the student account and are the responsibility of the student. All such repayments must be satisfied before the student enrolls for another semester.

4-week Summer Session

Students officially withdrawing from the University during the first six days of class receive refunds for the Basic Fees as follows: One hundred percent if withdrawal occurs on the first day that classes meet (which may not be the first day that a specific class may meet). Eighty percent if withdrawal occurs during the first three class days of a four-week session and fifty percent if withdrawal occurs on or between the third and sixth class days of a four week session. No refund is made if withdrawal occurs after the sixth class day of a four-week session. No refunds are made to students who do not follow official procedures for withdrawal or change of course. The information technology fee and the ID card fee are not subject to refund or reduction.

Refunds are made only upon receipt of an official withdrawal card properly executed. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the withdrawal card is completed. In the case of withdrawals caused by personal illness or call into military service, the total amount of fees is refundable if withdrawal is made within the first seven class days of the four-week sessions. One-half of the total amount of fees is refunded if withdrawal is made during the period beginning the eighth class day and ending on the twelfth class day of a four-week session. Those students withdrawing due to personal illness or call into the military may be asked to submit official documentation in order to receive a reduction in fees.

Recipients of Title IV Federal financial aid are required to have their funds prorated based on the number of weeks of enrollment. This proration is effective through 60% of the semester, and examples are available upon request at the Financial Aid Office. All Title IV repayments are charged to the student account and are the responsibility of the student. All such repayments must be satisfied before the student enrolls for another semester.

Graduate Identification Cards

All graduate students are required to have a current UWA Graduate Identification Card each semester they are enrolled at the University. These cards are available at the Tiger Card Office (Webb Hall 125). The UWA Graduate Identification Card is required to check out books and materials from the Julia Tutwiler Library and the Media Center, as well as admission to all University activities. The card is also required in all UWA Computer Labs for any printing or photocopying in any UWA facility. The Graduate Identification Card is also required in order for the graduate student to take the Miller Analogies Test and the Comprehensive Exam.

The UWA Graduate Identification Card may also be used as a student activity card. Graduate students have the option of paying a $95.00 activity fee which entitles them to admittance to SGA/CAB sponsored events, athletic events, and use of the Wellness Center/Student Union. Graduate students also have the option of paying a $25 annual fee (and a $25 per semester fee) to the alumni association for use of the Wellness Center only.