2011 - 2012 General Catalogue 
    May 22, 2024  
2011 - 2012 General Catalogue [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Affairs


General Information

The Division of Student Affairs is that component of the University which deals with student welfare, particularly as it relates to the non-academic areas of the University. The Student Affairs Division is responsible for expanding the extra-curricular environment and creating an atmosphere for students which is conducive to learning and growing. Admissions, Housing, Financial Aid, Student Life, Recreation, and Student Activities are all offices which are included within the Division of Student Affairs. Also included as responsibilities of the Student Affairs area are discipline, residence hall life, student organizations and activities, social events, university calendar, auditorium, Campus Activities Board, and the Student Government Association.

Admissions Office

The Admissions Office, located on the third floor of Webb Hall, is responsible for the recruitment and admission of all students who enter the University. Admissions staff are available to assist students in the application process and to provide them with support and counseling while seeking admission to UWA. The Admissions Office is open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and campus tours are conducted from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. each day. Weekend tours are available by appointment only. For further information, write to Office of Admissions, the University of West Alabama, Livingston, AL 35470 or call 1-888-636-8800 or (205) 652-3578. (e-mail: admissions@uwa.edu.)


The Office of Student Housing is located in Brock Hall 121. The Housing staff provides information, guidance, programs, and services for on-campus students. It is the goal of the Housing staff to help students create an environment which is conducive to learning, growth, and development.

Financial Aid Office

The Financial Aid Office, located in Webb Hall 334, awards federal and state funds, monitors on-campus and off-campus scholarships, and assists students with financial planning. Although the majority of the awards are based on financial need as determined by a needs analysis, there are loans available that are not need-based. This office attempts to meet the financial needs of the majority of our students through the packaging of grants, jobs, and loans. The Financial Aid staff is available to provide all students with assistance in all aspects of financial aid, from the application process through the disbursements of funds.

Student Life

The Office of Student Life, located in Brock 200, is the coordinating agency for a number of services that the University provides for its students. This office is administered by the Director of Campus Life and Housing. Included among the functions of this office are the responsibilities for student housing, student organizations, campus activities, intramural programs, disciplinary matters, social events, and the Student Government Association.

Student Health Service

The University of West Alabama Student Health Service program is operated through an agreement with Dr. W. R. Simpkins, a local physician. Dr. Simpkins maintains office hours at Livingston Clinic, Inc. (Hwy. 11 North) from 9:00 a.m. until noon and from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Office hours are also held from 9:00 a.m. until noon on Wednesday and Friday. Students may go to Dr. Simpkins’ office on a “drop-in patients” basis. Students may also make an appointment with Dr. Simpkins by calling (205) 652-2686. As the University physician, Dr. Simpkins sees students regarding routine matters. Neither the University physician nor any other University employee will issue medical excuses for missed classes. In the case of illness, each professor will determine whether to grant an excused absence to a student.

Students with musculoskeletal and orthopedic injuries may use the services provided by the UWA Athletic Training and Sports Medicine Center in Homer Field House. See this section  under Facilities and Services in the General Information portion of the Catalogue.

After normal office hours, and in case of emergencies, students needing medical attention should go to Hill Hospital in York. The University will not be able to provide transportation to the hospital, but will arrange for ambulance service, if requested. The student will be responsible for the expense for all hospital services and ambulance transportation, if applicable. On-campus residents should contact a resident assistant or their hall director if there is a medical emergency. The Housing staff member will contact campus police. The campus police officer will determine whether an ambulance should be called.

A student who has family health insurance coverage should be prepared to provide documentation of such coverage in the event he/she requires medical attention other than that provided by the University. Information on insurance coverage for college students is available in the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, Webb Hall, Room 323.

Student Union

The George C. Wallace Student Union Building (SUB) provides a television viewing area, study area, conference room, campus post office, bookstore, computer lab, swimming pool, and volleyball and racquetball courts. The downstairs area contains pool tables, Ping-Pong tables, Wellness Center, and student offices. The SUB is open weekdays from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm.

Student Activities

Athletic Activities

The University, as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, competes in the Gulf South Conference in varsity athletics for men in football, basketball, baseball, cross country, and tennis. UWA also sponsors a program of varsity athletics for women in volleyball, basketball, softball, soccer, cross country, and tennis. The University’s men’s and women’s rodeo teams compete in the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association. Intramural competition in major and minor sports is provided for the recreation and development of the students. Tournaments are organized and conducted in the various sports.

Convocations and Assemblies

The administration, the faculty, and the students meet in a University convocation from time to time. The SGA holds campus-wide assemblies during the academic year. Assemblies are also sometimes scheduled by the several Colleges.

The Student Government Association

The Student Government Association (SGA) consists of a president, a vice president, a secretary, a business manager, a STARS coordinator, an attorney general, and a legislature. The legislature consists of three senators-at-large, two senators from each class, one senator from each college, one senator from the School of Graduate Studies, one representative from each fraternity and sorority, representatives from select student organizations and one representative from each residence hall. Representing the interests of the students, the SGA promotes activities that improve and enrich the life at the University.

Student Organizations

ACCOUNTING CLUB is an organization for students majoring or minoring in accounting.

ALPHA CHI is a national scholastic honor society for men and women who have excelled in their academic pursuits.

ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA is a national social sorority.

ALPHA EPSILON DELTA is a premedical honor society.

ALPHA PHI ALPHA is a national social fraternity.

ALPHA PHI OMEGA is a national co-ed service fraternity.

ALPHA PSI OMEGA is a national dramatics honor fraternity which recognizes individual students for their outstanding contributions to UWA Theatre, either on-stage or back-stage.

ALPHA SIGMA ALPHA is a national social sorority.

ALPHA SIGMA TAU is a national social sorority.

AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, STUDENT AFFILIATE is a national organization to inform students of the opportunities for professional chemists in business, industry, government and education.

ALABAMA ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY is an organization for students interested in archaeology.

THE UWA BAND is an organization open to all interested students who play an instrument, regardless of major. The band performs two concerts each year and at athletic and others student events. They perform a variety of types and styles of music from jazz charts, marching band arrangements, pep band arrangements, pep band and concert band.

BETA BETA BETA is a national honor society for students dedicated to improving the understanding and appreciation of biological study and extending the boundaries of human knowledge through scientific research.

BLACK STUDENT ASSOCIATION (BSA) is a diverse organization that encourages student unity and facilitates the improvement of black culture on campus.

BLUE KEY NATIONAL HONOR FRATERNITY recognizes men and women for leadership in extra-curricular and academic affairs. Those eligible for election to membership are outstanding juniors, seniors, graduate students, and, under certain conditions, sophomores.

CAMPUS ACTIVITIES BOARD is the University’s programming board. The board consists of student volunteers who provide a wide variety of entertainment programs for the University community.

CARDINAL KEY NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY is an organization for men and women of junior status who are leaders in the University community and who are deemed potential leaders in the future.

THE CONCERT CHOIR gives students an opportunity to develop their singing abilities. Concerts are presented in the University community, and tours are made to towns and cities in the area.

DELTA CHI is a national social fraternity

DELTA MU DELTA is a national honor society in business.

DELTA SIGMA PI is a professional fraternity organized to foster the study of business.

DELTA SIGMA THETA is a national social sorority.

THE FELLOWSHIP OF CHRISTIAN ATHLETES brings together UWA athletes from all sports.

THE INTERFRATERNITY COUNCIL, composed of representatives from each of the social fraternities on the campus, coordinates the various activities of the fraternities under the general supervision of the Director of Student Activities.

THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ASSOCIATION promotes the exchanging of cultural values and ideas and serves as a support group for all international attending UWA

IOTA TAU ALPHA is a national athletic training education honor society committed to stimulating interest, scholarship, and promotion of athletic training education.

IRA D. PRUITT STUDENT NURSES’ ASSOCIATION is an organization of students in the nursing program. It is a chapter of the National Student Nurses’ Association.

KAPPA ALPHA PSI is a national social fraternity.

KAPPA DELTA PI is an international honor society in education.

KAPPA MU EPSILON is a national honor society for mathematics that recognizes students who excel in mathematics and encourages them in their efforts to achieve in mathematics.

THE JAZZ BAND is devoted to music of the popular variety. In addition to providing students with experience in playing this type of music, the Jazz Band plays at concerts, both on the campus and off.

THE LIFE is the University newspaper published weekly by students.

LIVINGSTON’S EARLY ALUMNI DEVELOPMENT (LEAD) develops and strengthens relationships between UWA students and the National Alumni Association.

MATHEMATICS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA, STUDENT CHAPTER is a national organization to promote mathematics and mathematics education.

OMICRON DELTA KAPPA is a national honor society that has as its purpose the recognition and promotion of leadership of exceptional quality and versatility.

PALS CLEAN CAMPUS PROGRAM is anti-litter organization that promotes and monitors a number of anti-litter programs.

THE PANHELLENIC COUNCIL is an organization of sorority women whose purpose is to promote friendly cooperation among all national sororities.

THE PAN-HELLENIC COUNCIL is an organization of sororities and fraternities whose purpose is to foster cooperative actions of its members in dealing with matters of mutual concern.

THE PARAGON is the University yearbook. It is published by a student staff with the advice and assistance of members of the faculty and staff.

PHI ALPHA THETA is an international honor society in history that exists to promote the study of history through the encouragement of scholarship, good teaching, research, and publications and to bring students, scholars, and writers together, intellectually and socially, to promote the fruitful exchange of ideas.

PHI BETA SIGMA is a national social fraternity.

PHI ETA SIGMA is a freshman honor society.

PHI KAPPA PHI is the oldest and most selective honor society in the United States that recognizes excellence in all academic disciplines.

PHI MU is a national social sorority.

PI KAPPA PHI is a national social fraternity.

PINNACLE is a national honor society that honors outstanding non-traditional adult (25 years or older) students.

PRESBYTERIAN CAMPUS MINISTRIES is a Christian student organization sponsored by the Livingston Presbyterian Church.

PSI CHI is a national honor society in psychology that promotes excellence in scholarship and advancement of the science of psychology.

SIGMA PI is a national social fraternity.

SIGMA TAU DELTA is an international honor society that recognizes superior levels of achievement in languages and literature and engages in a variety of activities that promote and support literary studies.

SOCIETY FOR PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISTS is an organization for students interested in journalism.

THE SPORTS MEDICINE CLUB is a student organization that sponsors activities designed to stimulate interest, scholarly attainment, and investigation in the field of sports medicine and to promote the dissemination of information among students.

STUDENTS IN FREE ENTERPRISE (SIFE) is a business sponsored organization which extends membership to all students interested in community oriented service projects.

TAU KAPPA EPSILON is a national social fraternity.

THE UNIVERSITY SINGERS is a small auditioned group that performs a variety of styles of music throughout the academic year.

UPSILON PI EPSILON is an international honor society in the computing and information disciplines.

UWA AMBASSADORS are the official student public relations representatives for the University, serving as hosts and hostesses at important University events, participating as tour guides for the campus and representing the University at special community functions.

UWA CHEERLEADERS contributes to the development of school spirit by cheering at athletic events an supporting other school activities.

THE UWA THEATRE presents two major productions each year and affords all UWA students an opportunity to participate in all areas of theatrical productions. All students, regardless of major, may participate in UWA Theatre productions.

THE WESLEY FELLOWSHIP is a student religious group sponsored by the UWA Wesley Foundation and the United Methodist churches of the Alabama-West Florida Conference.

ZETA PHI BETA is a national social sorority.

Student Financial Aid

In an attempt to meet the financial need of qualified students, the University subscribes to the following policies and principles: (1) The purpose of financial aid is to supplement the resources of the student and his/her family; it does not exist to replace these sources of support. The primary responsibility for financing a college education resides with the family. The family is expected to contribute according to its income and assets to a student’s University expenses. The student is expected to share in this responsibility through savings, summer work, and part-time employment if necessary. (2) In selecting a financial aid recipient, the University considers not only an applicant’s financial need, but also his/her academic achievement and potential, character, and leadership ability. (3) The amount of a financial aid award reflects the financial situation of the student and his/her family and is confidential information which will not be made public by the University.

Financial aid at UWA may consist of a scholarship, a loan, a grant, campus employment, or any combination of these. The Financial Aid Center will attempt to meet a student’s need through the award or combination of awards most appropriate to the individual applicant.

Specific information on applying for financial assistance may be obtained by writing to the Director of Financial Aid, Station 3, the University of West Alabama, Livingston, Alabama 35470 or online at www.financialaid.uwa.edu.

Financial Aid Disbursement

Financial Aid is disbursed on the third day of classes each term. After the first disbursement, it is disbursed on Wednesday of each week. Students should be prepared to purchase books with their personal funds. Student Financial Aid refund checks are mailed to the student’s local mailing address or deposited directly into the student’s personal bank account. Students may enroll for Student Account Direct Deposit via WebAdvisor. After logging in to WebAdvisor, click on Banking Information (US) under Financial Information. Using a check or savings deposit slip, complete the required information. Any additions, changes, or deletions to direct deposit information may be completed by the same enrollment form in WebAdvisor.

Federal Pell Grant Program

A Federal Pell Grant, is gift aid that does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. (A professional degree is usually earned after earning a bachelor’s degree in a field such as medicine, law, or dentistry.) For many students, Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for undergraduate with exceptional financial need — that is, students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFC) as calculated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Priority is given to students who receive Federal Pell Grants and apply early. An FSEOG does not have to be paid back.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The Program encourages community service, tutoring, and work related to the student’s course of study. To be considered for work-study, students must indicate they are interested on their FAFSA Application.

Federal Perkins Loan Program

A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5 Percent) loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. The school is the lender. The loan is made with Federal and institutional funds. with a share contributed by the school. Students must repay this loan to the school.

Federal Direct Student Loans

Undergraduate students may borrow up to $5,500.00 per year as freshmen, $6,500.00 as sophomores, and up to $7,500.00 as juniors and seniors. There is an unsubsidized Direct Loan available to students who do not qualify for need-based aid. Loan repayment s begins six months after graduation or leaving the University.

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for Direct Student Loans. The school will review the results and will award the student according to their loan eligibility. Students must complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and e-sign a Master Promissory Note online at www.studentloans.gov. The promissory note is a legal document. The student should read it carefully before signing.

Institutional Scholarship and Loan Funds

An ever increasing number of individual scholarships and awards are made on an annual basis to deserving students of all classifications who wish to attend UWA. The Trustee Academic and Leadership awards (for high school seniors and junior college transfers) are made on a first-applied, first awarded basis until the funds are depleted and handled solely through the Office of Admissions. Civic, Memorial, and Alumni awards, handled through the Office of Institutional Advancement, can vary from the type of classification of the student, as well as, geographic, academic major, and other restrictions, but all have a deadline of February 28 of each year. UWA Department, Division, or Organization awards are made by applications obtained through the specific individual group overseeing the scholarship and each has various criteria and restrictions applicable to that award. Listed below are scholarships that are open for the upcoming academic year.

The Chris H. King Scholarship
The Annie Louise Pruitt Nursing Scholarship
The Baldwin Educational Fund Scholarship
The Choctaw County Alumni Chapter Scholarship
The Clemit and Vicki Spruiell Athletic Training Scholarship
The Darryl Hutcheson Technology Memorial Scholarship
The Elizabeth Salina (Lizzie) Stallworth Scholarship Fund
The Estelle Scales Accounting Scholarship
The Gatewood Hatcher Memorial Scholarship
The George W. Skipper Student Fireman Scholarship
The Gladys Mason - Wilcox County Scholarship
The Gordon Bridges - Wilcox County Alumni Scholarship
The Grace Thompson McLain Scholarship
The Greater Birmingham Area Alumni Chapter Scholarship
The Howard Holt-Pickens Alumni Chapter Scholarship
The India Lowry Shields (Marengo County) Scholarship
The Ira D. Pruitt Nursing Scholarship
The James Colquitt Languages and Literature Scholarship
The James P. Homer Alumni Scholarship Fund
The Julia S. Tutwiler Scholarship
The Kemp Foundation Scholarship
The Lawrence and Nell Malone Fund
The Louise Sisk McDaris Scholarship
The Marengo County Alumni Scholarship
The Mobile County Alumni Chapter Scholarship
The Ralph and Margaret Lyon Scholarship Fund
The Sanders Education Scholarship
The Sarah Bell Cunningham (Sumter County) Scholarship
The Sharon Smith Pafford Memorial Scholarship
The Strachan Stallworth Scholarship
The Sumter County Alumni Scholarship
The Suttles Scholarship
The Tagged for Success Scholarship (Alabama Resident)
The Therman and Martha Sewell Sisk Scholarship
The Trustees Academic and Leadership Scholarships
The Tuscaloosa Alumni Chapter Scholarship
The Winton and Naomi Wise Scholarship

Alabama Student Assistance Program

The Alabama Student Assistance Program is a need-based grant program funded by the federal government and the State of Alabama. It provides grant assistance to needy students who are residents of the State and who are in need of this additional financial help in order to further their education at UWA. The FAFSA serves as the application.

Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program

The Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program was established in 1984 by the Alabama Legislature to provide financial assistance to Alabama National Guard members who are residents of Alabama for education at accredited postsecondary institutions within the state. Additional information and applications are available from the commander of each National Guard unit.

Police Officers’ and Firefighters’ Survivors’ Educational Assistance Program

The Police Officers’ and Firefighters’ Survivors’ Educational Assistance Program is established to provide for tuition assistance and other costs for an undergraduate student who is the dependent child, or spouse who has not remarried, of a law enforcement officer or firefighter killed in the line of duty. Further information and applications may be obtained from Alabama Commission on Higher Education.

Veterans and Veterans’ Dependents

UWA is an accredited institution under provisions of all the public laws providing educational benefits for qualified veterans and dependents of veterans. The UWA Registrar is Veteran’s Coordinator.

Satisfactory Progress Policy for Financial Aid

Federal regulations require recipients of federal financial aid to maintain satisfactory academic progress, as determined by the University, to receive assistance funded by the federal government. Satisfactory progress toward a degree is defined in accordance with the following table for purpose of determining eligibility for federal student aid programs:

Qualitative and Quantitative Measures:

Students are required to make academic progress toward a degree by maintaining the minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) on work attempted at UWA in accordance
with the following table:

Hours Attempted Required GPA
Freshman 0 - 29 1.60
Sophomore 30 - 59 1.80
Junior 60 - 89 1.90
Senior 90 or above 2.00

Time Frame:

Students are allowed by federal regulation 150% of the program in which they are enrolled within which to complete their degree. Exceptions are made for students who enroll in the Nursing Program. Nursing student’s time-frames are based only on the classes they have attempted after being admitted to the Nursing Program.

Undergraduate students failing to meet the above standards are not eligible to receive federal financial assistance. Such students can appeal for reinstatement of their eligibility when they complete 12 undergraduate credit hours or 6 graduate credit hours at UWA, without federal financial aid. The hours must be required for their degree, with no final grade less than 2.00 (“C”) for undergraduate students or 3.00 (“B”) for graduate students. They may be taken all at once or over more than one term. After the required hours are completed, the student must submit an Appeal for Financial Aid Reinstatement. Any withdrawals during this period of financial aid probation will result in immediate loss of eligibility for future periods of enrollment.

Students are reviewed for satisfactory academic progress at the end of each regular academic year, after spring grades are reported. Students suspended or dismissed from the University for academic reasons will be considered ineligible for federal student aid funds until they have met the above standards at the University. Reestablishment of eligibility for federal assistance may be accomplished only at the end of a term and students who re-establish eligibility may not retroactively receive funds for periods of enrollment in which they were ineligible. The University cannot adjust subsequent financial aid payments to compensate students for the loss of financial aid during periods of ineligibility.

Transfers Students — Students transferring to the University are assumed to be maintaining reasonable progress. Hours transferred from prior schools will be considered in establishing the class standing as well as being considered in determining the overall time frame allowed to receive financial aid. GPAs from transfer colleges will factor into the cumulative GPA for financial aid.

Withdrawals — Students may withdraw from the University but must complete 67% of all classes attempted. Students who receive financial aid will have these courses counted in the hours attempted.

Grades: Repetitions — Students are allowed to receive financial aid to repeat a course one time. Students are required to notify the Financial Aid Center if they are repeating a course more than once. Non-credit hours are not counted in hours attempted. Incomplete — The hours attempted are not counted until the incomplete is removed. Incomplete grades not removed the following semester become an “F” according to the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogues.

Appeals — In order to appeal the loss of eligibility for financial aid because of failure to make reasonable progress under the quantitative, qualitative, or time frame measurers, the following procedure has been established. It is imperative that the student follow the procedure as outline below:

  1. Thoroughly read the Satisfactory Academic Progress Letter from Financial Aid.
  2. Thoroughly read the Satisfactory Progress Policy for Financial Aid.
  3. Download, print and complete the Request for Reinstatement of Financial Aid form. Sign and submit it to Station 3 to be brought before the committee. Attach any documentation, which supports the claim and outline the steps taken to correct the lack of academic performance.
  4. Receive a decision from the committee.

Reinstatement — Students who lose their financial aid eligibility because of a failure to maintain reasonable progress towards a degree may reapply for financial aid after clearing the deficiency or attaining the minimum GPA.

Financial Information

All Charges, Fees, Meal Tickets, Dorm Rates, Etc. Subject to Change Without Notice.


The estimated expenses for nine months at UWA are about $9,600. This estimate includes normal academic fees, room and board, and books and supplies, but does not include the student’s personal expenses, which may vary widely, nor does it include special course fees that are required of students in certain fields or other special fees required in particular circumstances.

The normal academic fees for one semester are $2,890. Room and board in a University residence hall is from $2,033 to $2,564 per semester. The Bookstore sells both new and used copies of the textbooks required in courses. The cost of these books varies with the courses taken and depends partly upon whether the student uses new or second-hand books. The average expenditure for books ranges from $400 to $600 each semester. Students should be prepared to purchase books at registration. The University cannot extend credit for such purchases.

Basic Fees (Subject to Change Without Notice)

Each undergraduate student who enrolls for more than six semester hours is required to pay basic fees each semester as follows:

  General undergraduate tuition fee - In-State $2,924.00
  Out-of-State tuition fee is two times In-State rate except for the following Mississippi counties which are charged the In-State rate: Clarke, Kemper, Lauderdale, Jasper, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, and Winston.
  Union Building fee $55.00
  Activity fee $145.00
  Medical fee $15.00
  Identification Card (required of all students) per semester $10.00
  Information Technology fee (required of all undergraduate students) $60.00
  An undergraduate enrolling for six or less semester hours $40.00
  Dining Dollars (required of all undergraduate students) $150.00
  Tiger Bucks (required of all undergraduate students taking more than 6 hours) $100.00

In addition, undergraduate students are required to pay the following fees when applicable:

  Undergraduate credit hour fee (per semester hour) $249.00
  The above fee is required only in the following instances:
  1. Any undergraduate student enrolling for eleven semester hours or less.
  2. Any undergraduate student enrolling for more than the normal load of sixteen semester hours (fee levied on all hours in excess of sixteen.)
  Graduate credit hour fee (per semester hour) $284.00

The above fee is required on any course taken for graduate credit.

  A graduate enrolling for four or less semester hours $40.00
  A graduate enrolling for more than four semester hours $60.00

Course Fees

For certain courses, special course fees are required in addition to the basic fees, as follows:

AC 315  $55.00
AH 101  $10.00
AH 102  $10.00
AH 200  $10.00
AH 300  $10.00
AH 321  $20.00
AH 323  $20.00
AH 325  $20.00
AH 331  $20.00
AH 341  $20.00
AH 410  $20.00
AT 100  $20.00
AT 211  $20.00
AT 311  $20.00
AT 341  $40.00
AT 342  $40.00
AT 343  $40.00
AT 344  $40.00
BA 271  $55.00
BA 320  $55.00
BA 371  $55.00
BA 400  $55.00
All Computer Information Systems courses $55.00
ED 405  $30.00
ED 435  $55.00
EH 099  $20.00
JN 240  $40.00
MG 370  $55.00
MG 390  $55.00
MG 400  $55.00
MG 490  $55.00
MK 350  $55.00
Music, applied courses: $45.00 per course
NS 101  $100.00
NS 102  $350.00
All Nursing courses (except NS 101  and NS 102  - lab and testing fees) $72.00 per course
Physical Education activity courses (PE 100  - PE 126 ) $10.00
PE 130  $250.00
PE 131  $250.00
PE 250  $15.00
PE 373  $10.00
PE 410  $20.00
PE 445  $10.00
PE 451  $10.00
All Technology courses $55.00
Laboratory courses in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Environmental Sciences, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics. $75.00 per course

NOTE: Course fees may be changed or additional fees may be added during the academic year. Students taking HR 307  and HR 407  in areas of science or mathematics will have a lab fee of $75.00 attached to these courses as designated by the Dean.

Special Fees

Certain special fees are required as follows:

  Application Fee for U.S. Citizens (submitted online) $25.00
  Application Fee (paper application) $35.00
  Application Fee for International Students (submitted online) $25.00

Application Fee for International Students (paper application)
(Required of all new undergraduate and graduate applicants for admission — not refundable)


Auditing Fee (per on campus course)
(In addition to special course fee as required. NOTE: The audit fee is waived for senior citizens of Alabama—those 55 or over.)

  Auditing Fee (per online course) $75.00
  Late Registration Fee
(Charged to all students who enroll after classes begin)
  Deferment Fee
(Charged to all students making fee payments on installment basis—See “Payments” section below)
  Late Payment Fee
(Charged to all students who fail to keep their University
accounts current as specified in the catalogue)
  Change of Course Fee (per course change) $20.00
  Graduation Fee (See Graduation Fee Policy below.)
  Associate or Bachelor’s Degree $40.00
  Master’s Degree $65.00
  Returned Check Handling Charge (per check)
(If a student has two returned checks per academic year, his/her check cashing privileges may be discontinued.)
  Replacement I.D. Cards $10.00
  Housing Application Fee (Residential Students only) $30.00

Enrollment as an Auditor

Any person wishing to audit a course in which college degree credit may be earned must follow standard application procedures. He/She must be registered for the course and must pay all required fees. He/She is expected to attend class meetings and to conform to all requirements of the instructor of the course. An auditor (a student wishing to attend such courses on a non-credit basis) ordinarily will satisfy all requirements for admission to the University. He/She also must pay the application fee. Upon approval of the dean of the college in which a course is housed, a student may be permitted to attend a course as an auditor without satisfying normal admission requirements. The University reserves the right to establish appropriate standards for such enrollments. Under no circumstances can a student receive credit toward a degree by auditing a course, and in no case can a professor assign a grade (other than AU) to any work presented by an auditing student.

Graduation Fee Policy

The undergraduate fee is $40.00 and the graduate fee is $65.00 if the student applies for graduation before the application for graduation deadline has passed (the last day of pre-registration in any given semester). A late fee of $25.00 will be imposed on any student applying for graduation after the deadline for applications has passed. If a student applies for graduation on time and then discovers that he/she will not graduate in the semester he/she applied, the student must reapply for graduation and resubmit the graduation fee. The fee and application do not roll over. The graduation fee is payable at the time the application is submitted. Measurements for caps and gowns are to be made at the UWA Bookstore four weeks prior to graduation.  The fee includes cost of diploma and rental of cap and gown. This fee is required of all graduates and is not refundable in the event the prospective graduate fails to complete requirements for a degree or fails to participate in graduation exercises.


All University charges for tuition, fees, room and board are due by registration day of each semester.

All students must pay their charges in full, have approved financial aid to cover all charges or make payment arrangements by the due date. Any charges incurred other than those required as a condition of enrollment are due in full prior to registration confirmation.

Arrangements consist of the following:

  1. Pay one third of all charges and have guaranteed financial aid sufficient to cover the remaining balance including applicable fees.
  2. Establish an approved payment plan through Tuition Management Systems in an amount sufficient to cover the account balance including applicable fees.

International students are REQUIRED to pay all charges at the time of registration. Other students whose accounts in the past have been turned over for collection also must pay all charges at the time of registration. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that fee payments are made on time and in accordance with the policies set forth in this catalogue. Any student who fails to comply with these policies may be withdrawn from classes by the University. The University is not responsible for sending bills or reminders, although statements showing outstanding balances due may be rendered on occasion. A student may access pertinent information regarding their student account on line through their WebAdvisor account at any time. Checks for payment of University charges should be made payable to “UWA”. No student records will be released by the Registrar’s Office until all University fees, fines and other obligations are paid in full. ALL STUDENT ACCOUNTS WITH A CREDIT BALANCE NOT CLAIMED WITHIN ONE YEAR OF GRADUATION OR WITHDRAWAL SHALL REVERT TO THE GENERAL FUNDS OF THE UNIVERSITY.

All costs, including attorney’s fees, which are necessary for the collection of any debt owed to the University, must be paid by the debtor. Questions about charges or refunds should be addressed to appropriate personnel in the Business Office in a timely manner.

Check Cashing Policy

Students and faculty desiring to cash checks at the Business Office for personal convenience must make checks payable to “Cash”. Personal checks will be cashed for amounts up to $50.00 for students if their student account with UWA is current. If a student has two returned checks per academic year, his/her check cashing privileges may be discontinued.

Due to the limited amount of cash on hand in the Business Office, work-study checks will be cashed only if the student makes a payment on their student account.

Returned Check Policy

UWA will pursue all legal means to collect dishonored checks returned by our bank for any reason. Once a check has been returned to the Business Office, the maker of the check will be notified by mail and be given a reasonable period of time to make the check good. Should the maker decide to ignore this notice, the Business Office will send a second notice. The second notice will be sent by Registered Mail. Should the second notice be ignored, the check and all supporting documentation will be submitted to the Bad Check Unit of the District Attorney’s Office for collection.

Writing a bad check is a crime in the State of Alabama. Failure to respond to the District Attorney may result in arrest.

Housing Reservation and Deposit

A request for a reservation in University housing (residence hall room or apartment) must be accompanied by a deposit of $100.00 and an application fee of $30.00. Deposits are held to cover the loss of, or damage to, residence hall or apartment property.

A deposit refund may be made when a room or apartment is vacated at the end of the contract period, as outlined in the Residence Hall Agreement. Residents desiring to receive a deposit refund must obtain a Request for Room Deposit Refund form from the Housing Office and turn it in to Brock Hall Room 121. The Housing Staff forwards the form to the Business Office. The Business Office prepares and mails a refund check to the student, provided all fees are paid, or the refund is applied to the student’s account if the account has not been paid in full.


Room and Board (Subject to Change Without Notice)

The rent on a space is $1,280.00 per semester. The rate for Stickney Hall, which provides efficiency rooms, is $1,720.00 per student per semester. Efficiency rooms in Reed Hall cost $1,940.00 per student, per semester. Efficiency rooms in Patterson Hall cost $1,810.00 per student, per semester. All rents are based on multiple occupancy and cover only the period in which classes are in session. Limited housing is available during break periods at an additional cost.

All students residing in the residence halls of the University are required to purchase meal plans. The charges for the three meal plans including applicable sales tax are as follows:

  Plan 1: 19 of 19 meals per week $1,140.00 per semester
  Plan 2: 14 of 19 meals per week $992.00 per semester
  Plan 3: 9 of 19 meals per week $823.00 per semester

Plan 3 is restricted to those students living in Reed, Patterson and Stickney Hall.

Student Apartments

Located on campus is an apartment complex for full-time students. Hoover Apartments provides furnished housing for four students in each apartment

  Hoover Apartments (Single Bedroom) $2,600.00
  Hoover Apartments (Double Bedroom) $2,300.00


Regular Session

Students officially withdrawing from the University during the first two weeks of class receive refunds for the Basic Fees as follows: One-hundred percent if withdrawal occurs on the first day that classes meet (which may not be the first day that a specific class may meet), eighty percent if withdrawal occurs during the first week (7 calendar days) of classes, and fifty percent if withdrawal occurs during the second week (14 calendar days) of classes. No refund is made if withdrawal occurs after the second week of classes. No refunds are made to students who do not follow official procedures for withdrawal or change of course. The information technology fee and the ID card fee are not subject to refund or reduction for students who withdraw after the first day of classes. Refunds are made only upon receipt of an official withdrawal form properly executed. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the withdrawal form is completed. In the case of withdrawals caused by personal illness or call into military service, the total amount of fees is refundable if withdrawal is made on or before Friday of the third week of the semester. One-half of the total amount of fees is refunded if withdrawal is made during the period beginning on Monday of the fourth week and ending Friday of the fifth week of classes. Those students withdrawing due to personal illness or call into the military may be asked to submit official documentation in order to receive a reduction in fees.

Recipients of Title IV Federal financial aid are required to have their funds prorated based on the number of weeks of enrollment and is effective through 60% of the semester. All Title IV repayments are charged to the student account and are the responsibility of the student. All such repayments must be satisfied before the student enrolls for another semester.

4-week Summer Session

Students officially withdrawing from the University during the first six days of class receive refunds for the Basic Fees as follows: One-hundred percent if withdrawal occurs on the first day that classes meet (which may not be the first day that a specific class may meet), eighty percent if withdrawal occurs during the first three class days of a four-week session, and fifty percent if withdrawal occurs on or between the third and sixth class days of a four week session. No refund is made if withdrawal occurs after the sixth class day of a four-week session. No refunds are made to students who do not follow official procedures for withdrawal or change of course. The information technology fee and the ID card fee are not subject to refund or reduction for students who withdraw after the first day of classes.

Refunds are made only upon receipt of an official withdrawal card properly executed. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the withdrawal card is completed. In the case of withdrawals caused by personal illness or call into military service, the total amount of fees is refundable if withdrawal is made within the first seven class days of the four-week sessions. One-half of the total amount of fees is refunded if withdrawal is made during the period beginning the eighth class day and ending on the twelfth class day of a four-week session. Those students withdrawing due to personal illness or call into the military may be asked to submit official documentation in order to receive a reduction in fees.

Recipients of Title IV Federal financial aid are required to have their funds prorated based on the number of weeks of enrollment. This proration is effective through 60% of the semester, and examples are available upon request at the Financial Aid Office. All Title IV repayments are charged to the student account and are the responsibility of the student. All such repayments must be satisfied before the student enrolls for another semester.