2020 - 2021 Graduate Catalogue 
    Jul 24, 2024  
2020 - 2021 Graduate Catalogue [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

General Information | 1


School of Graduate Studies

Dr. B. J. Kimbrough, Dean

The School of Graduate Studies at UWA offers programs leading to the degrees of Master of Education, Master of Arts, Master of Arts in Teaching (Certification and Non Alabama Teacher Certification), Master of Business Administration, Master of Science, Master of Science in Adult Continuing Education, Education Specialist and Doctor of Education.

Mission Statement

The University of West Alabama is a state-supported, coeducational institution of higher learning governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the Governor. As a regional institution, the University's foremost commitment is to meeting the educational needs of the State and particularly of the West Alabama area. Valuing a diverse student enrollment, though, it also welcomes students from throughout the United States and from other countries.

The primary purpose of the University is to provide opportunities for students to pursue a quality education through associate, baccalaureate, master's, and education specialist degrees in liberal arts, natural sciences and mathematics, pre-professional programs, nursing, technology, business, and education. Importance is placed on providing opportunities within the curricula for the development of enhanced skills in critical thinking, communication, leadership, and computer literacy. The University also seeks to provide students opportunities for growth beyond the classroom through a wide range of extracurricular activities, programs, and services and through the maintenance of an environment of cultural and intellectual diversity. Through the total educational experience that it provides and through its encouragement of the free exchange of ideas among faculty, administration, and students, the University attempts to assist its students in developing the important qualities of independent thinking and respect for the ideas of others and in building firm foundations of personal integrity and character in order to realize their quests for a philosophy of life and for self-fulfillment.

At the University of West Alabama, the emphasis is upon the traditional learner, but the institution is also committed to furthering the concept of lifelong learning and to serving the non-traditional student. It considers among its clientele are high schools, businesses and industries, governmental agencies, and professional workers. In serving these diverse publics, the institution employs not only traditional means of delivery, but it also seeks to expand its use of innovative technologies, including distance learning, and to networking with other educational institutions and agencies in order to more comprehensively address the needs of its region.

In fulfilling its mission, the University seeks to employ a vibrant, talented, and diverse faculty. In the recruitment and retention of this faculty, as with all members of the University community, the institution, consistent with its academic heritage, maintains an openness to all qualified persons.

Excellence in teaching and advising is paramount to the faculty, but the members are also committed to providing leadership and fostering positive growth throughout West Alabama through research and public service, with primary emphasis on that which meets the educational, social, cultural, and economic needs of the region.


The University of West Alabama is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, Telephone number 404-679-4501) to award the associate, bachelor's, master's, education specialist, and doctoral degrees. This accreditation gives regional and national recognition to credits and degrees earned at the University. The College of Education at the University of West Alabama is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), 2010 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20036; telephone (202) 466-7496/ This accreditation covers initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator preparation programs.  The unit will notify candidates individually and in writing if the institution loses regional accreditation at one or more levels.

The Purpose of The School of Graduate Studies

The purpose of the School of Graduate Studies is to provide post-baccalaureate study for persons preparing for careers in business, professional education and education and for those whose career plans require graduate-level work in other areas.

Specifically, the School of Graduate Studies offers programs in business, integrated marketing and communications, learning design and technology, early childhood development, elementary education, pre-school through grade twelve education, special education, school counseling, general studies, library media, counseling/psychology, teacher leader, student affairs in higher education, guidance and counseling, family counseling, instructional leadership, and rural education. Academic areas of study in the various disciplines are biology, English, English language arts, finance, history, mathematics, physical education, experimental psychology, science, and social science. These programs are provided to further develop the professional competencies attained in undergraduate programs. In accomplishing this purpose, students are encouraged to solve professional problems by independent investigation through study and research.

Administration of the Program

The policies of the School of Graduate Studies are set by the Graduate Council of the University, which is appointed by the President. The Dean of the School of Graduate Studies serves as chairperson and executive officer of the Graduate Council. The Graduate Dean's responsibilities include initiation and recommendation of policies and procedures, and the overall administration of graduate programs as directed by the Graduate Council. The Graduate Council recommends the membership of the graduate faculty to the Provost, who submits the names to the President, who makes the appointments. The Graduate Dean approves the various curricula; supervises the course offerings; admits students to the School; and approves programs for degrees.

Admission to the School of Graduate Studies

Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree with a minimum of 2.75 grade-point average (four-point scale) or graduation from an accredited college or university with a master's degree or higher with a minimum of 3.00 grade-point average (four-point scale) is required for unconditional admission to the School of Graduate Studies. A student who has an undergraduate grade-point average below 2.75 or a graduate grade-point average below 3.00 will be admitted conditionally and will be allowed to take twelve (12) hours of graduate work. If a grade-point average of 3.00 or higher is achieved in the first twelve (12) hours, regular admission to the graduate program may be granted and these credit hours may apply toward a degree.

Students who have attended other colleges and universities may apply for admission to the School of Graduate Studies, submitting transcripts from all colleges previously attended.  Graduate transfer applicants must have satisfactory citizenship records at the last institution attended and must be eligible to return to the last institution which they attended on a full-time basis.

Specific programs may require official entrance exam scores on the GRE. Applicants should consult the program requirements in this catalogue for more specific information.

Students should take the GRE prior to admission to the School of Graduate Studies. Students may not be allowed to begin graduate work prior to submission of a test score.  Graduate students who have completed an accredited master's degree program are not required to submit either a GMAT or GRE score as a requirement for admission to the specific graduate program.

In accordance with the Alabama State Department of Education Code:

"... any candidate applying for admission to a State-approved teacher education program shall be required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check through the Alabama State Department of Education to the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) pursuant to Act 2002-457. The candidate shall be fingerprinted by a service provider approved by the Alabama State Department of Education. Additional information about approved providers, fees, and procedures is available from the Teacher Education and Certification Office." Rule 290-3-3-.02(5)(a-b).

All students pursuing a master's or education specialist degree program leading to certification should follow the provided link to Cogent, the approved Alabama State Department of Education service provider for criminal background checks: www.cogentid.com/al/index_ade.htm. Out-of-state students must also meet this requirement. Students who are not residents of Alabama may obtain fingerprint cards by calling the Alabama State Department of Education Teacher Certification Office at (334) 353-8567.

A clear background check through Cogent is essential for all students (on campus and online) to be admitted to a teacher education program leading to certification.  Students in the MSACE Guidance and Counseling program are subject to this requirement as well.  Students may not be allowed to begin graduate work prior to submission of a background clearance.  Students may not be allowed to begin graduate work prior to submission of a background clearance.

Students pursuing a master's or education specialist degree programs leading to certification, except those in the Alternative Class A program, must submit a copy of a valid renewable teaching certificate in order to complete the admission process.

For the safety of our campus community, all students who take courses on campus are required to have certain up-to-date immunizations before enrolling in any courses on campus.  As such, all new students must verify their immunization and medical histories through the Med+Pass system.  Students must have a valid UWA email address before registering on Med+Pass.

Admission to the School of Graduate Studies is not equivalent to unconditional admission to an approved program.  Candidates admitted to the institution or graduate school on or after August 1, 2012, to enroll in courses in a Class A or Class AA teaching field program may complete no more than five (5) approved program courses prior to unconditional admission to the program.

Additional requirements for admission to programs in the School of Graduate Studies may be required. Please see individual program information for specific details.

A qualified senior in a Non Alabama Teacher Certificate program at UWA, lacking six to nine hours or less for graduation, may be enrolled for up to nine hours of graduate studies with the approval of the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Non-Degree Admission

This is a category for students who do not intend to seek an advanced degree from The University of West Alabama. Individuals seeking to enroll as non-degree or undecided graduate students must meet the minimum requirements for admission to the School of Graduate Studies. Non-degree or Undecided graduate students are limited to 12 credit hours and prohibited from registering for any internship and/or practicum courses.  Financial aid is not applicable for any coursework taken in a non-degree program.  

A non-degree student who subsequently seeks full admission must satisfy requirements for admission to the specific program.

International Students

Applications are welcomed from international students who wish to attend UWA. In addition to meeting the regular admission requirements, foreign applicants whose native language is not English must submit satisfactory scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). International students who have graduated from English-speaking undergraduate schools are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. The TOEFL code for UWA is 1737.

Official transcripts must be evaluated by an outside evaluation service. Applicants must hold at least a bachelor's degree from a senior institution that was accredited at the time the degree was earned. The evaluation must come directly from an evaluation service affiliated with the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES). For a listing of NACES member organizations and their contact information, please visit www.naces.org/members.htm. This evaluation is to be forwarded directly to International Programs, UWA, 1 College Drive, Station #51, Livingston, AL 35470.  The cost of this evaluation will be the responsibility of the student.

Applicants must also file financial statements confirming the availability of sufficient funds to meet all costs while studying at the University.

Advisory System

When a student has been approved for admission to the graduate program, he/she is assigned an advisor by the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. All graduate students should schedule regular conferences with their advisors. Advisors provide general guidance as students plan their work toward graduation. Each student, however, has full responsibility for determining his/her own status in regard to the acceptability of his/her schedule and progress toward meeting graduation requirements.

Students who register at extension centers should contact their advisors prior to registration to receive approval of their schedules.

Graduate students are expected to familiarize themselves with the regulations and academic requirements stated in this catalogue. Graduate students who, because of extraordinary circumstances, wish to request exceptions to any of the regulations may do so in writing to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Student Financial Aid

In an attempt to meet the financial need of qualified students, the University subscribes to the following policies and principles:

  1. The purpose of financial aid is to supplement the resources of the student and his/her family; it does not exist to replace these sources of support. The primary responsibility for financing a college education resides with the family, and the family is expected to contribute according to its income and assets to a student's University expenses. The student is expected to share in this responsibility through savings, summer work, and part-time employment if necessary.

  2. In selecting a financial aid recipient, the University considers not only an applicant's financial need, but also academic achievement and potential, character, and leadership ability.

  3. The amount of a financial aid award reflects the financial situation of the student and his/her family and represents confidential information which will not be made public by the University.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), www.fafsa.gov, is required to apply for Federal Direct Student Loans and the Federal Work-Study Program. Students must complete a new application each year using the prior-prior year's Federal Income Tax information. Information about applying for financial assistance may be obtained by contacting the Financial Aid Center, by email at financialaid@uwa.edu, or telephone 205-652-3576. Additional information is available on the Financial Aid Webpage online at http://www.uwa.edu/financial_aid.aspx

Financial aid at UWA may consist of a loan, scholarship, campus employment, or any combination of these. The Financial Aid Center will attempt to meet a student's financial need through the award or combination of awards most appropriate to the individual applicant.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students who need financial assistance in order to pay part of their educational expenses. The amount of the work-study award depends on the financial need of the student and the funds available. The typical student employee works fifteen hours per week and is paid the Federal minimum wage. Federal Work-Study is only available on campus. The FAFSA application is required each year to apply.

Federal Direct Loans

A Federal Direct Loan,   https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized, is a low-interest loan made to qualified students through the University by the Federal Government. Students may borrow a maximum of $20,500 per year ($6833/semester) or $138,500 aggregate total during their undergraduate and graduate programs. Repayment begins six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time.   The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) serves as the application for a Direct Loan. Deferment and limited cancellation benefits are available for highly qualified teachers. More information is available online at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/teacher.

Drops and Withdrawals

Students who withdraw or drop courses will have those courses included in the evaluation of their Satisfactory Academic Progress at the end of each semester. Satisfactory Academic Progress basically requires students receiving federal aid to complete at least 67% of all the courses they attempt, maintain a 3.00 GPA (3.25 for Education Specialist Programs), and complete their program in 150% of the time required for their degree. A complete copy of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is available online. 

Enrollment Status and Repeated Courses

Federal regulations require that we only count courses required for the student's degree in determining their enrollment status. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (three graduate hours) to qualify for Federal Direct Loans and Federal Work-Study. The regulations will allow students to repeat a course, in which they have a passing grade, one time. However, repeated courses do not erase failing grades for Satisfactory Academic Progress evaluations. 

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are available to qualified students in certain fields of study. Assistantships are usually granted for a period of nine months. Normally, there are no stipends for the summer semester. Students desiring to make application for graduate stipends should write to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, the University of West Alabama, Station 31, Livingston, Alabama 35470, for application forms.

Cooperative Education Program

The University of West Alabama offers a program in Cooperative Education to allow opportunities for students to gain work experience in their chosen field of study. The program enables the student to combine classroom instruction with practical experience in business, industry, government, or service organizations. This program is available to qualified students in select majors. To qualify, a student must be in good standing with the University and have a 3.0 or above grade point average. The student must also attend an Employability Seminar offered by appointment in the Career Services Office.

Students may choose one of two options when available. The first option, the Alternating Option, allows a student to alternate semesters of full-time work and full-time study. The second option, the Parallel Option, allows a student to work part-time (15 to 20 hours a week) while enrolled as a full-time student.

In addition to the above qualifications, a student must register for the appropriate non-credit Cooperative Education course (CEP) each work term and pay the materials fee. Students must comply with the policies and procedures of the employer and the Cooperative Education Program. Interested students may apply in the Career Services Office in Foust Hall 7.

Special Administrative Policies

General Rules for Behavior

All University students are required to abide by State laws governing the use of State-owned buildings, among which are prohibitions against gambling, use or possession of firearms except under direct supervision of an authorized University instructor, use or possession of alcoholic beverages, and use or possession of fireworks in any University building or on the University campus.

Every University of West Alabama student, in addition to complying with regulations fixed by the Board of Trustees for entrance into the University, will be expected to conform to such rules as may be established for the well-being of the University community, including, but not limited to, the general rules of behavior set forth in the Student Handbook. Failure to abide by University rules and regulations may result in dismissal.

Non-Academic Grievances

From time to time students may have questions and/or concerns regarding administrative policies or operations. These questions may involve areas such as financial aid, housing, or student life. Generally, there are logical explanations for situations, and usually most questions can be resolved in an informal manner through discussion with the individual or office involved. In instances where a student raises a question about a non-academic policy or decision (academic matters fall under the Academic Grievance policy), the affected staff member should respond constructively, explaining the situation as carefully as possible and checking to be sure that no error has been made. If it is not possible to resolve a matter through discussion, a student may appeal for further consideration by voicing the concern to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA). Again, in most instances, concerns can be resolved through discussion, interaction and possibly intervention on behalf of the VPSA but when this is not possible, the student can formalize his appeal in writing to the VPSA and ask for consideration by the Student Life Committee to resolve the matter officially. This policy is intended to ensure that the student is given fair and equitable consideration in any matter that may arise and complies with state and federal regulations.

Campus Security Policy

UWA fully supports the intent of the Campus Security Act and has taken steps to adhere to its guidelines. In accordance with the Act, the University maintains records on crimes reported, arrests made on intoxication and alcohol related matters. The University also supports pro-active campus policies and programs on alcohol abuse. Results of student disciplinary proceedings are reported to alleged victims. In addition, information to whom to report a crime, who will respond to the student's report, campus safety policies and preventive security measures is widely distributed.

Firearms Policy

The University of West Alabama seeks to provide a safe learning environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. The University is committed to the prevention of crime; the protection of life and property; the preservation of peace, order, and safety; the enforcement of laws and ordinances, and the safety of the University community and visitors; and adopts this policy for possession of dangerous weapons and firearms on campus and at events.


"Campus" means all property owned, leased or controlled by the University and any affiliated buildings and outdoor premises, such as parking lots and other outdoor property.
"Dangerous weapon" is defined to include:

  • Any device that shoots or delivers a bullet, BB, pellet, arrow, dart, flare, electrical charge, or other projectile, whether loaded or unloaded, including those devices powered by CO2.
  • Any explosive device, including fireworks.
  • Any instruments/devices that are designed or may be used as a weapon to injure or threaten another individual, including non-culinary knives with a blade greater than four (4) inches.
  • A firearm, as defined herein, is not included in this definition of dangerous weapon.

"Firearm" means a pistol, handgun, rifle, or shotgun and any ammunition.

Except as otherwise stated in this policy or as otherwise allowed by law, the University prohibits the possession, transportation, and use of firearms and other dangerous weapons on campus. This policy applies to all persons on campus, including faculty, staff, students, contractors, and visitors. University students may not possess firearms at any time on campus, except as expressly authorized by the University of West Alabama Police Department (UWA PD). University Police may provide temporary storage for firearms lawfully possessed by students at its headquarters.

Faculty and staff may not possess firearms on campus or while otherwise engaged in duties associated with their employment, except for a firearm properly maintained in a personal vehicle in a manner consistent with Alabama law.

Consistent with Alabama law, all persons (including current concealed carry permit holders) are strictly prohibited from possessing firearms at locations where guards and other security features are employed, such as athletic events.

This policy will be published in staff, faculty and student handbooks, and supersedes any contrary provisions.

Persons on campus and in violation of University policy are trespassers and may be dealt with accordingly, including, but not limited to, being removed from campus and receiving a written directive to remain off campus. Contractors and vendors are expected to comply with policy and contract terms. Violations of Alabama law may be dealt with by appropriate law enforcement. Student violations may be addressed in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct as well as other applicable policies and may include sanctions, up to and including expulsion. Employee violations may be resolved in accordance with employer policies, up to and including termination.

This policy does not prohibit use or possession of dangerous weapons or firearms by (1) certified law enforcement officers acting within the scope of their employment; (2) private security, who with express prior permission of the University Police, possess firearms or dangerous weapons while in the employ of the University or for a permitted event; and (3) members, coaches, and authorized staff of a recognized team or course who are acting within the scope of activities that the University Police has pre-approved. This policy also does not apply to the University Police officers who are attending classes as students. If, however, the University Police officers are not in uniform during class, they must keep their weapons concealed. Any other use or possession of dangerous weapons or firearms on campus must be authorized by the University Police.

(Revised September 20, 2013)


All members of the UWA student body, faculty and staff who operate vehicles on the campus are required to register any vehicle driven on campus with the University Police Department. This regulation includes graduate students attending on-campus classes one night per week. Vehicles can be registered with University Safety and Security located in the Craiger House.

Policy on Accommodation for Disabilities

The University of West Alabama strives to make its programs accessible to qualified persons defined as disabled under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Students who have special needs that require accommodation are responsible for notifying instructors in each course in which they are enrolled and appropriate staff members, who in turn will refer the student to the ADA Compliance Coordinator. Following verification of the student's status, the ADA Compliance Coordinator will work with the instructor or staff member in implementing an appropriate plan for accommodating the student's needs. Support documentation of special needs from a physician or other qualified professional will be required if deemed necessary.

For additional information, student should contact the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, Webb Hall 323, (205) 652-3581.

The Student Right to Know Act

UWA recognizes and supports the intent of the Student Right to Know Act. UWA understands, accepts and supports the intent of this act and conforms to its requirements. This information will be available from appropriate University sources. This act was designed to protect student athletes and other students by insuring that they realize what the potential for their graduating from college is. UWA maintains records on the completion rate of all athletes in comparison with the general student population. These records make comparisons by race, gender, and sport. These records will be available upon request and will be distributed as widely as possible to all prospective and enrolling students.

Policy on Non-Discrimination

The University of West Alabama is committed to providing an educational and employment environment free of harassment and other forms of discrimination on the basis of: race, religion, hearing status, personal appearance, color, sex, pregnancy, political affiliation, creed, ethnicity, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, physical or mental disability (including perceived disability), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other protected category under applicable local, state, or federal law, including protections for those opposing discrimination or participating in any grievance process on campus, with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or other human rights agencies.

The University has designated a Title IX Coordinator who oversees implementation of the University's Policies and Procedures on Equal Opportunity, Harassment, and Nondiscrimination. The University's Title IX Coordinator is Robert Upchurch, Webb Hall 200 (Station 1), Livingston, AL 35470, rupchurch@uwa.edu, 205-652-3533.

Any person may report harassment, discrimination, sex discrimination, including sexual harassment, in person, by mail, telephone, or email, using the contact information listed above for the Title IX Coordinator. Such a report may be made at any time (including during non-business hours) by using the telephone number, email address, or by mail to the office address, listed above for the Title IX Coordinator. For the University's Policies and Procedures Regarding Equal Opportunity, Harassment, and Nondiscrimination, please visit www.uwa.edu/titleix.

Title IX and Sexual Harassment

For information on Title IX and Sexual Harassment, please see the University's Policies and Procedures on Equal Opportunity, Harassment, and Nondiscrimination found at www.uwa.edu/titleix.

Policy Statement on Maintaining a Drug-Free Community and Workplace

The regulations implementing the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 [Public Law 101-226] require that each institution receiving federal grant funds must certify, prior to the award, that it will maintain a drug-free workplace and community. UWA, therefore, establishes the following policy standard:

The use of illegal drugs and the abuse of legal medication and alcohol threaten the health and welfare of members of the University community. UWA takes pride in its members, and, therefore, is committed to eliminating substance abuse among its students, faculty, and staff members both on and off campus.

UWA hereby notifies all of its employees and students, both full-time and part-time, that the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of a controlled substance by an employee or student on the UWA campus, or at any other location where the employee or student is performing official duties or representing UWA, or performing any work pursuant to a federal grant, is prohibited.

The primary objective of the University in the area of substance abuse is prevention. Through the presentation of drug, alcohol, and other health related educational programs, UWA hopes to inform the campus community of the problems related to substance abuse. Although UWA does not independently require drug-testing of students involved in campus activities, the University supports and agrees to comply with drug-testing requirements of all applicable athletic associations in which membership is held. For student, faculty, and staff members who recognize that an abuse problem exists, counseling and/or referral service will be made available. It is hoped that all substance abuse problems can be handled at the counseling level; however, it is the responsibility of the individual to seek help prior to disciplinary action or criminal apprehension, or prosecution, as well as conduct himself or herself in accordance with federal, state and local law whether or not on the campus of UWA.

The use of illegal drugs will not be tolerated by UWA. Members of the University community apprehended for or convicted of substance abuse will be subject to appropriate University action. Indicators of abuse, such as arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) or possession of illegal drugs, will serve as reasonable cause for disciplinary action, whether or not a criminal conviction is ultimately obtained. Those convicted of substance abuse will be subject to disciplinary action and criminal prosecution by the appropriate authorities. Any violation of this policy by an employee or student will render the employee or student subject to disciplinary action (consistent with federal, state or local law) including, but not limited to, expulsion or immediate termination of employment. The University may also require the employee or student to complete a drug rehabilitation program. UWA will fully cooperate with law enforcement authorities in the investigation or prosecution of any criminal violations and may refer any suspected violations to these authorities for prosecution. At all times, members of the University community remain responsible for conducting themselves in accord with federal, state and local law.

Substance abuse is counter to the educational mission of UWA. This policy of prevention, counseling and discipline will serve as a catalyst to discourage abuse by members of the University community.

UWA has implemented a drug-free awareness program. The statement above, setting forth UWA's policy of maintaining a drug-free workplace and community and the penalties that may be imposed upon employees for drug abuse violations occurring in the workplace and community, is a part of this program, but the University also distributes the following annually to all employees:

  1. Information on the dangers of drug abuse in the workplace and community;
  2. Information on the legal sanctions under local, state, and federal law for unlawful possession, use or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol;
  3. Information on available drug counseling, rehabilitation, and employee assistance programs in the area.


General Fees

Tuition is billed based on the section location. 

On Campus Graduate Fee for Tuition (per semester hour) - In-state $371.00
On Campus Doctoral Fee for Tuition (per semester hour) - In-state $520.00
Note: Out-of-state tuition is two times the In-state rate except for the following Mississippi counties,
which are charged the In-state rate: Clarke, Kemper, Lauderdale, Jasper, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, and Winston.
Online Graduate Fee for Tuition (per semester hour) $429.00
Online Doctoral Fee for Tuition (per semester hour) $630.00
Identification Card (required for all students) per semester $10.00
Information Access Fee (required for all graduate and doctoral students)  
Information Access Fee for a on campus graduate or doctoral student enrolling for four or less semester hours $120.00
Information Access Fee for a on campus graduate or doctoral student enrolling for more than four semester hours $180.00
Technology Fee for an online student per session $60.00
Application Fee (submitted online) (Non-refundable) $30.00
Application Fee (paper application) (Non-refundable)
(Required of all new graduate applicants for admission)
Application Fee for International Students (paper application/Non-refundable) $40.00
Thesis Registration Fee $65.00
Auditing Fee (per on campus course) $40.00
Auditing Fee (per online course) $75.00
Comprehensive Examination Fee $50.00
Graduation Fee (See Graduation Fee Policy below.)  
Master's and Education Specialist Degree $75.00
Doctoral Degree $75.00

Fees in the School of Graduate Studies do not cover any medical expenses for students.

NOTE: The audit fee is waived for senior citizens of Alabama, those 55 or older, who audit a course on campus.


Graduation Fee Policy

The graduation application fee of $75.00 for all students (as stated above) is due before the deadline has passed.  A late fee of $75.00 will be imposed on any student applying for graduation after the deadline for applications has passed (see academic calendars for deadline dates). If a student applies for graduation and then discovers that he/she will not graduate in the semester he/she applied, the student must reapply for graduation and resubmit the graduation application fee. The fee and application do not roll over. The application for degree fee covers the cost of processing of student files, diploma print costs, mailing costs, commencement ceremony printing costs and/or degree shipping if s student does not attend the ceremony. There is an additional fee for cap and gown to be purchased from Barnes Noble (Campus Bookstore). Students will receive instructions via regular mail and their UWA email accounts about commencement from the Commencement Committee.

Filing for a Degree

Each candidate for a master's or education specialist degree must apply for the degree through the Registrar's Office no later than the registration period of the semester in which he/she expects to meet requirements for the degree. Application forms are available online or in the Registrar's Office. It is the responsibility of the student to file this application. The last day for filing an application for a degree is shown in the University calendar. Students who fail to meet the degree requirements after filing for the degree or diploma, must refile for the degree when requirements are completed.

Housing Reservation

A request for a reservation in University housing (residence hall room or apartment) must be accompanied by an application fee of $100.00.

Room and Board (Subject to Change Without Notice)

The rental rate in one of the University residence halls or apartments covers only the period when classes are in session.  Limited housing is available during breaks at an additional charge.   All rental rates are set on the basis of multiple occupancy of the room. The rates (subject to change) are as follows:

  Stickney Hall (Shared Room) $2,380 per semester
  Reed Hall (Shared Room) $2,500 per semester
  Hoover Apts. (Single Bedroom) $3,340 per semester
  Hoover Apts. (Shared Bedroom) $2,960 per semester
  Patterson Hall (Shared Room) $2,500 per semester
  Selden Hall (Shared Room) $1,660 per semester

All students residing in the residence halls of the University are required to purchase meal plans. The semester charges of the meal plans, including applicable sales taxes, are as follows:

  All Access Meal Plan $1,375.00
  9 Meal Plan $993.00

All students that live in a residence hall room without kitchen facilities, are required to have an All Access Meal Plan.  A 9 Meal Plan is required of all other residents.


All University charges for tuition, fees, room and board are due by registration day of each semester.

All students must pay their charges in full, have approved financial aid to cover all charges or make payment arrangements by the due date. Any charges incurred other than those required as a condition of enrollment are due in full prior to registration confirmation.

Arrangements consist of the following:

  1. Pay one third of all charges and have guaranteed financial aid sufficient to cover the remaining balance including applicable fees.
  2. Establish an approved payment plan in an amount sufficient to cover the account balance including applicable fees.

International students are REQUIRED to pay all charges at the time of registration. Other students whose accounts in the past have been turned over for collection also must pay all charges at the time of registration. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that fee payments are made on time and in accordance with the policies set forth in this catalogue. Any student who fails to comply with these policies may be withdrawn from classes by the University. The University is not responsible for sending bills or reminders, although statements showing outstanding balances due may be rendered on occasion. A student may access pertinent information regarding their student account on line through their Self-Service account at any time. Checks for payment of University charges should be made payable to "UWA". No student records will be released by the Registrar's Office until all University fees, fines and other obligations are paid in full. ALL STUDENT ACCOUNTS WITH A CREDIT BALANCE NOT CLAIMED WITHIN ONE YEAR OF GRADUATION OR WITHDRAWAL SHALL REVERT TO THE GENERAL FUNDS OF THE UNIVERSITY.

All costs, including attorney's fees, which are necessary for the collection of any debt owed to the University, must be paid by the debtor. Questions about charges or refunds should be addressed to appropriate personnel in the Business Office.

Check Cashing Policy

Students and faculty desiring to cash checks at the Business Office for personal convenience must make checks payable to "Cash". Personal checks will be cashed for amounts up to $50.00 for students if their student account with UWA is current. If a student has two returned checks per academic year, his/her check cashing privileges may be discontinued.

Due to the limited amount of cash on hand in the Business Office, work-study checks will be cashed only if the student makes a payment on their student account.

Returned Check Policy

UWA will pursue all legal means to collect dishonored checks returned by our bank for any reason. Once a check has been returned to the Business Office, the maker of the check will be notified by mail and be given a reasonable period of time to make the check good. Should the maker decide to ignore this notice, the Business Office will send a second notice. The second notice will be sent by Registered Mail. Should the second notice be ignored, the check and all supporting documentation will be submitted to the Bad Check Unit of the District Attorney's Office for collection. Writing a bad check is a crime in the State of Alabama. Failure to respond to the District Attorney may result in arrest.


Regular Session

Students officially withdrawing from classes during the first two weeks of class receive refunds for the Basic Fees as follows: One hundred percent if withdrawal occurs during the first week of classes and fifty percent if withdrawal occurs during the second week of classes. No refund is made if withdrawal occurs after the second week of classes.

Refunds are made only upon receipt of an official withdrawal card properly executed. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the withdrawal card is completed. In the case of withdrawals caused by personal illness or call into military service, the total amount of fees is refundable if withdrawal is made on or before Friday of the third week of the semester. One-half of the total amount of fees is refunded if withdrawal is made during the period beginning on Monday of the fourth week and ending Friday of the fifth week of classes.

  1. Those students withdrawing due to personal illness or call into the military may be asked to submit official documentation to receive a reduction in fees.
  2. Recipients of Title IV Federal Financial Aid are required to have their funds prorated based on the number of days of enrollment, effective through 60% of the semester.    Withdrawing from the institution may affect a student's Satisfactory Academic Progress as determined by the Financial Aid Office under federal regulations.  Students should consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from the University.  Students who fail to pass a single class during an award period are considered an unofficial withdrawal and federal funds may need to be returned as a result.  All Title IV repayments are charged to the student account and are the responsibility of the student.

4-week Summer Session

Students officially withdrawing from the University during the first six days of class receive refunds for the Basic Fees as follows: One hundred percent if withdrawal occurs during the first three class days of a four-week session and fifty percent if withdrawal occurs on or between the third and sixth class days of a four week session. No refund is made if withdrawal occurs after the sixth class day of a four-week session. No refunds are made to students who do not follow official procedures for withdrawal or change of course. The information technology fee and the ID card fee are not subject to refund or reduction.

Refunds are made only upon receipt of an official withdrawal card properly executed. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the withdrawal card is completed. In the case of withdrawals caused by personal illness or call into military service, the total amount of fees is refundable if withdrawal is made within the first seven class days of the four-week sessions. One-half of the total amount of fees is refunded if withdrawal is made during the period beginning the eighth class day and ending on the twelfth class day of a four-week session. Those students withdrawing due to personal illness or call into the military may be asked to submit official documentation in order to receive a reduction in fees.

Recipients of Title IV Federal Financial Aid are required to have their funds prorated based on the number of days of enrollment, effective through 60% of the semester.    Withdrawing from the institution may affect a student's Satisfactory Academic Progress as determined by the Financial Aid Office under federal regulations.  Students should consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from the University.  Students who fail to pass a single class during an award period are considered an unofficial withdrawal and federal funds may need to be returned as a result.  All Title IV repayments are charged to the student account and are the responsibility of the student.

Graduate Identification Cards

All graduate students are required to have a current UWA Graduate Identification Card each semester they are enrolled at the University. These cards are available at the Tiger Card Office (Webb Hall 125). The UWA Graduate Identification Card is required to check out books and materials from the Julia Tutwiler Library and the Media Center, as well as admission to all University activities. The card is also required in all UWA Computer Labs for any printing or photocopying in any UWA facility. The Graduate Identification Card is also required in order for the graduate student to take the Miller Analogies Test and the Comprehensive Exam.

The UWA Graduate Identification Card may also be used as a student activity card. Graduate students have the option of paying a $145.00 activity fee which entitles them to admittance to SGA/CAB sponsored events, and use of the Wellness Center/Student Union. Graduate students also have the option of paying a $25 annual fee (and a $25 per semester fee) to the alumni association for use of the Wellness Center only.